(I scheduled this to post in advance, so assume I’m somewhere in France without internet…I’m not ignoring you all, and will post many, many things as soon as I return to English soil!)
Today is the release of Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton!! Not only is it an awesomely awesome book, but it is also further proof that this is the YEAR OF THE WITCH.
To celebrate Tessa’s awesomely awesome release, we have an interview and a GIVEAWAY <–oh look, free book!
1. So, Tessa, give us the essence of BLOOD MAGIC in as few words as possible.
I think the marketing people at Random House nailed it with their tagline: “Power. Immortality. Blood.” I would only add: “and Kissing.”
2. Tell us a bit about YOU.
I prefer for everything I do/read/watch to have magic and/or monsters in it. Monsters like dragons, or dinosaurs, or even serial killers. Magic like love or like fireballs. It’s a wide umbrella. But it defines most everything about me.
3. The journey is different for everyone, so much so that I don’t think there is a normal path to publication. Give us a glimpse into yours: How long did it take to write BLOOD MAGIC? Was it your first book? Any surprises a long the way?
Oh, I wrote the first draft of Blood Magic in 6 weeks, and then wrote two more drafts over the next 3 months, then revised for my agent for another month, then revised completely after the book didn’t sell, and we finally sold at auction almost exactly a year after I started writing the first draft. It was intense, and there were about 6 drafts total.
I’d written 5 complete novels before that, two in high school and my Freshman year of college, and then three more after I left grad school. The biggest surprise was realizing that I get a lot more pleasure out of massive rewrites than drafting in the first place. I always thought I was a sadist, but apparently not…
4. What has been your favorite part of the publication process?
I’d say holding my finished book in my hand, but really I think it was the first offer. Knowing that somebody was going to buy my book – that was indescribable.
5. What was your favorite part of writing BLOOD MAGIC?
Two words: Josephine Darly.
6. Villains. Really, what more do I need to say? They rock. Give me your favorite villain (besides Josephine, because we already know she is EPIC).
Right now I’m slightly obsessed with Cansrel from FIRE by Kristen Cashore, mostly because of how he was written – his part (and lack thereof) in the novel… oh it’s amazing.
7. Most important question of all. Favorite kind of cupcake?
If it has chocolate and NO NUTS I will eat it and love it. Mmmmm….
Tessa, I am so, so PROUD/HAPPY/SQUEEful that your book is finally out for the world to enjoy! So squeeful in fact that I’m going to give away a finished copy of BLOOD MAGIC. Lovelies, all you have to do is leave a comment! You have from now until Friday the 27th at 9pm CST to enter!
*PS: Today marks TEN weeks until THE NEAR WITCH hits stores!!!!*