TEA TIME is my brand new interview series!
That sounds kind of fun, doesn’t it? Does it make you want a scone? Some finger sandwiches? Now I’m hungry…
Anyway, I am lucky enough to kick things off with awesometastic (I don’t know WHY WordPress insists that isn’t a word) Rebecca Maizel, author of the incredible INFINITE DAYS.
First, before we even begin, LOOK AT THE COVER.
You know how I feel about covers. This is one I even mention in my cover art vlog. And and and INFINITE DAYS officially comes out TOMORROW!!
Now, onto the interview!
1. Hey Rebecca, thanks for kicking off the Tea Time series! Give us the essence of INFINITE DAYS in as few words as possible.
The essence…hmm. I would say when you sit down to read Infinite Days, Lenah will make you feel, awake. Everything is new to her, even the smell of cookies and coffee. Oh, woops. This isn’t a few words. I stink at this.
Okay, take two:
The moment right before you kiss. Those seconds right before the lips touch – that’s what Infinite Days feels like.
2. Oh, well put! Now tell us a bit about YOU.
Former bartender. Former radio DJ. Bichon Frise LOVER (my dog Louie is a person, I swear.) Favorite items include: my printer, Stop and Shop seltzer water, coffeeeeeeee and very pointy pens. Purple ink or black.
3. Mmmm pens. I do love pens. Pilot V5 Precise are so nice too….Oh, sorry! So, the journey is different for everyone, so much so that I don’t think there is a normal path to publication. Give us a glimpse into yours.
It took me eight months to write, ID. It came out of a very visceral place, a place that commanded that I write Lenah’s story. I queried a publisher looking for unsolicited manuscripts. The agent came next. It was backwards but I’m a firm believer that a well written query can open the doors to publication.
ID wasn’t my first book, I wrote a lot of fiction and creative work before IDays. That’s the thing, you need to keep writing every day. You need to believe that the piece you are working on matters, even if no one ever sees it.
4. What has been your favorite part of the publication process?
Writing. Lame answer, I know. But seriously! That I get to wake up every day and write is an amazing, amazing, thing. I’ll never get over how incredible it feels.
5. What was your favorite part of writing ID?
When Lenah’s voice came to me for the first time. I couldn’t write fast enough, I couldn’t get her words onto the page quick enough!
6. Villains. Really, what more do I need to say? They rock. Give me your favorite villain.
Dolores Umbridge – Harry Potter # 5. I have never wanted to jump through a book and THROTTLE someone so badly.
7. YES. YES A THOUSAND TIMES UMBRIDGE HAUNTS MY DREAMS WITH KITTEN PLATES… Okay, most important question of all. Favorite kind of cupcake?
ANYTHING buttercream. Or chocolate. Chocolate buttercream!?
And a delicious book, kids. Go forth and purchase!
If you have ANY comments or questions for miss Maizel, she has agreed to answer them, so post them in the comments section!