So, it’s my birthday today. I turn 22.
I was going to make a list of 22 pearls of wisdom I’ve gathered over my life thus far, but this is as far as I got:
1. Pudding has milk in it. Powdered pudding has milk in it. EVERY pudding has milk in it. If you have the misfortune of being addicted to pudding AND being lactose intolerant, you need to remember this fact.
2. You can’t buy mace in the grocery store, or the drug store. Which is inconvenient because the times you stop and realize you should be carrying mace, the only places open are the aforementioned.
And then I kind of ran out. So…
I decided to make a list of 22 of my favorite things (besides the obvious friends and family, because I could gush about them endlessly :
1. Chocolate pudding
2. Kuma, despite his phone/book/stair/table/shoe/brush/pen eating tendencies
3. The smell of old books
4. Going to movies the first night they’re out, and getting to share the emotions of the audience, the gasps, cheers, etc.
6. Challenges, dares, contests and anything that pushes me farther than I thought I could go
7. England, the only place I feel my feet grow roots
8. POTS of tea. Not just cups, but when you go into a place and they serve tea in a pot
9. The Princess Bride
10. Walking before the world gets up
11. Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell
12. Traveling, especially to old places, where the history is written into the buildings and the earth
13. Pilot Precise V5 black pens
15. Spilling secrets to the stripe on the swimming pool floor
16. Dancing in the rain (I did this on the 4th)
17. Dancing like a fool in an empty house to loud music (I did this about 10 min ago)
19. Being far enough out in nature that there’s little to no trace of mankind
20. Stumbling on/through/into/by whimsical scenes
21. Sitting on my back porch watching, listening, and feeling summer thunderstorms
22. Effortless smiles
There you go. I’m off to have a pot of tea, read a good book, converse with my swimming pool, eat some sushi, some ice cream, and perhaps some pudding, and who knows what else I’ll squeeze in before the clock strikes twelve and this new age becomes the norm. It’s a full moon tonight, a lot can happen.